2011 BP5K

2011 BP5K
BP5K

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Share from Honorary Co-Chair, Destini Voelkel



“You have a brain tumor,” are the first words I heard when I woke up in a hospital January 2013. Those are words that I never expected to hear in my lifetime, especially not at 21 years old. I’d imagine hearing those words would be a life-changing experience, and in a way, they were. However, finding out I had a brain tumor was more of an answer than a question. I had started having grand mal seizures at age 15. The doctors could not find what was wrong, and I was labeled as “idiopathic epileptic”. I was put on anti-seizure medication, which controlled the grand mal seizures, but I would still have petite mal seizures every day, usually multiple times a day. I just accepted that and dealt with it for many years. Right after New Years of 2013 I got sick and stopped taking my medication for a few days. It was enough to induce a grand mal seizure, which landed me in the ER, which lead to getting scans. That’s when they found the tumor. After the doctor told me about it, all I could say was “Well that makes sense.” Now I knew what was behind all the seizures. There was an answer to all my questions and the next step was to figure out how to solve it. 

Long story short, they did a biopsy in March of 2013 and found out the tumor was malignant and in June 2013 they removed the tumor. I went through 2 months of radiation and 12 months of chemotherapy. As of May 1, 2015 I have been considered in remission for 1 year!

During all of this chaos I was connected with Kelly Bolinger and the Brain Power 5K. It was the first group I found that had people in my same situation, people that were supportive while actually knowing what I was going through. The Brain Power 5K is not only a great support system for those who are going through this, but also for the families and loved ones. The money raised by the Brain Power 5K goes to funding research for resources and finding cures for brain cancer and brain tumors. Participating and donating to this organization is a cause worth supporting! Had there been more research or resources when I was younger, it might not have gotten to the point where I had to be treated for cancer

Throughout my entire journey I have met so many wonderful, inspirational people. I have found a whole support system and even more reasons to fight this awful disease. The Brain Power 5K is a wonderful organization dedicated to making sure my story, and others’ stories, are heard, and advocated for. I am one of the lucky ones. As a 2015 HonoraryCo-Chair of the Brain Power 5K, I strongly encourage those to support the Brain Power 5K, their mission, and all they stand for. Every single person can make a difference, but as a team we can make that much more of an impact.

4 comments:

  1. How my daughter was saved from grand mal seizure.
    I am not really a fan of sharing my personal private story on the internet but i decided to do this because this joy is too voluminous for me to hide. My daughter which i took over 8 years after marriage to conceive had her first seizure at age 8 and ever since then it has been from one seizure to another in school, in church, at picnics. This got me worried because she has a bright future that i do not want epilepsy to become a hindrance, i tried several doctors in Texas and none could help with an effective cure. I went on the internet and saw testimonies about a treatment for epilepsy which a doctor offered and i was interested, i got in contact with him and i was able to get the medicine for my daughter which she used for 3 months as he instructed and it has been over 6 months now she is doing just fine without any allergies or aftermath effects. If you are suffering problem try to reach him too on (josephalberteo@gmail.com) i can count on him for a cure for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DON FOR MY FAMILY.This information will be useful for Epilepsy patients who is willing to use herbal medicine. My daughter had temporal lobe epilepsy, She had seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode. Our daughter's seizure is constant throughout the day. We had used several medicine which include: Epilim and Keppra, experience seizure control at the cost of serious debilitating side effects. It was during a casual conversation with a friend that I learned about Dr. William HERBAL HOME,for different king of disease , it does not have any side effect. I am glad to say that he has been seizure-free since July 2016 after taking William medicine. this a miracle cure?contact him for more detail (drwilliams098765@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog, its really good and helpful, Good information share.!! Brain Tumor Surgery Cost India

    ReplyDelete
  4. HERBAL MEDICINE: OUR BREAKTHROUGH
    My son was diagnosed with epilepsy in his early age (4years), there was no known cause or reason, many investigations have since taken place to achieve a diagnosis, It came from nowhere. I cannot describe to you how helpless we feel as parents, our happy life was turned upside down. We felt shocked, devastated and utterly helpless. All we could do was to hold and comfort him. His seizures contributed to his lack of developmental progress. If he was in the midst of doing something he would fall over or just curl up into a ball. I also have a Youtube video. It is a very difficult symptoms, despite continued medical intervention we are unsuccessful in stopping her seizures. We have tried multiple medicines, including CBD and a special diet, but all to no avail. Dr. Allen!!!, your input bring about his recovery. I will forever be indebted to you. I was delighted to share this information to Epilepsy Research UK, and I would urge anyone who also have same symptoms to try such a worthy path because this is the only way to improve the lives of those diagnosed with epilepsy. To get more information, write drallenchase@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete