2011 BP5K

2011 BP5K
BP5K

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

SURVIVOR Guest Blogger:



Well, today marks 4 years.  It was four years ago that I had surgery to remove a malignant tumor from my brain.  I was thrown into the cancer world and of course the resulting anxiety.  I initially avoided any mention of the “c” word.  However, over time, I have grown to embrace and even profess my title of SURVIVOR.  While preparing to participate in my second BP5K this year, I made a very symbolic connection through my search for a creative, clever, and meaningful team name.

I chose the team name “HEADSTRONG”.  The symbolic translation, head + strong, is an obvious description of myself and all survivors.  We are strong in the head, that’s for sure.  The literal definition of the word describes our fortitude and determination precisely. 

 head•strong [hed-strawng, -strong] adjective 1. determined to have one's own way; willful; self-willed; stubborn; obstinate: a headstrong young woman. 2. proceeding from or exhibiting willfulness: a headstrong course.

The more I thought about the new team, the name HEADSTRONG rang a bell and reminded me of a famous song by the band Trapt.   I looked up the lyrics and found our survivors story put to music.  The song is perfectly titled “Headstrong” and the lyrics describe our fight against brain cancer and our determination to succeed.

I see your motives inside
Decisions to hide

Back off, I'll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong
And this is not where you belong

I can't give everything away
I won't give everything away

I discovered the existence of the BP5K last summer.  The 2012 race was my first interaction and over the past year my involvement has grown tremendously.  Kelly and the BP5K provide such a sense of unity and purpose for the survivors of the central Texas community.  The feat of “making a difference” feels much more real and attainable with the driving force and support of the BP5K.

Laura Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment