2011 BP5K

2011 BP5K
BP5K

Monday, September 8, 2014

A note from the BP5K Race Founder


Dear Brain Power Family,

First, let me explain why I chose the word ‘family’.  Webster defines family as: “a group of people who are related to each other.”  When I started the Brain Power 5K in 2011, the nearly 400 people in attendance were mostly my family, dear friends and people that have now grown into great friends from the race over the years.   You are a part of the Brain Power 5K because you care. We are related in passionately caring about our cause, your loved ones- the Brain Power 5K family.  

In 2006 at 28 years old, with a 6 month old baby; I was told I had brain cancer. There is not a descriptive enough word of fear that fit this situation and those that followed.  My husband and I had just been married for a couple of years and were just trying to figure out life with a newborn. And then we were thrown directly into ‘for better or for worse’…

Immediately (of course against all recommendations), I took to the internet to find any sort of clue of what to expect with brain cancer, brain surgery, seizures, etc. You can imagine the results. My biggest fears only worsened. My neurosurgeon’s office had to end up calling me several times to schedule my brain surgery…who WANTS to have their skull sawed open,  their brain dug into and screws drilled into to keep it together. It just didn’t seem right. It was a terrifying time. But, I finally succumbed and had it on the calendar for February 8, 2007.

Thankfully surgery went well; the surgeons were very aggressive and were able to remove my entire tumor- a Ganglioglioma grade II. I was very blessed in that I didn’t have to pursue any further treatment other than the craniotomy and continued seizure management.

Throughout my diagnosis, surgery and recovery I desperately searched for someone that had experienced a brain tumor, brain cancer, brain surgery, seizures- anyone to talk to- hoping to find someone in the Austin area that could relate their similar experiences and any advice. There was nothing. I knew I couldn’t be the only one in the Austin area to have had this diagnosis, experience and brain surgery.

I continued my search and found the Dr. Marnie Rose Foundation in Houston, Tx. This foundation was created out of the love of the Rose family to memorialize their dearly missed daughter, sister, niece- Marnie- who they lost to brain cancer at just 27 years old.  They host an incredible fun run every spring in Houston called the Run for the Rose funding brain cancer research at MD Anderson. The Dr. Marnie Rose Foundation has contributed an amazing $3,568,000 for brain cancer research and pediatric health initiatives to MD Anderson Cancer Center and Children’s Memorial Hospital since 2003. The Dr. Marnie Rose Foundation works hands-on with the top researchers of the world at MD Anderson to fund only the MOST promising research for a cure.

I still remember my first time meeting another brain tumor survivor at the Run for the Rose in Houston. It was more influential and impactful than meeting any celebrity. Meeting the survivors was so powerful, fulfilling and emotional; I remember not wanting to leave. The relief to see others making it and running or walking was awesome; it was such a comfort to know that I could be ok too.

I returned to the thought of; ‘I can’t be the only one in Austin that has gone through this’….and what happens if my tumor comes back!? And there is not ANYTHING being done here to improve things for brain cancer research to help! That scared me.

As I got stronger and stronger; I decided it was time. We NEEDED to do something about brain tumors and for the people in Central Texas. That was when the Brain Power 5K was born.

From our first year at the park in 2011 raising $26,000 to 2014 on the streets in Cedar Park with about 1,700 in attendance and fund-raising over $105,000 our BP5K family is STRONG and growing. A brain cancer diagnosis is the scariest thing I’ve gone through and not having anyone to relate to is hard, real hard. Now there are a couple thousand of you that understand and for all of Central Texas to reach out to.   

It is obvious how necessary this funding is needed when reading through the 170 tributes throughout race day, the 50+ brain tumor survivors and the awareness that there are over 120 different brain tumor types- meaning that there is not a comprehensive treatment for all.  And I am personally reminded while at my most recent check-up reviewing my MRI when my neuro-surgeon begins with “maybe you should make an appointment with the neuro-oncologist, these things do come back sometimes”… We need to find an answer for all of our Powerful People.

Thanks to YOU, I believe we are getting closer to those answers.

Thank you everyone for making the 4th Annual Brain Power 5K such a huge SUCCESS! Thank you to our sponsors, volunteers, team leaders, planning committee, friends and family!! -- for your unbelievable commitment, your amazing fundraising and continuing to spread the Brain Power 5K’s mission. You are making the BP5K great and we are so thankful and excited about the impact we are making with you! Enormous strides in life-saving research against brain tumors are being made thanks to you! Brain tumor survivors will continue to get the support they deserve with our year around gatherings and events with the BP5K. And local brain tumor patients will get necessary care assistance they may have not received otherwise. Your fundraising will be going to brain cancer research at MD Anderson Cancer Center; local brain cancer research at Baylor Scott & White Neuroscience Institute and to assist local brain tumor patients financially.

You are the Brain Power 5K and you are family. Thank you for making Central Texas’ Race Against Brain Cancer the best yet!

Stay in touch and we’ll see you soon!
With so much thanks and hope,

Kelly Bolinger

~May 2015- BrainPower-thon
(all brain tumor survivor team to complete marathon distance as a relay team)
~Summer 2015- Brain Power 5K Kick-Off Party
~September 2015- 5th Annual Brain Power 5K

No comments:

Post a Comment